Oilslick Water Marble

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, February 24, 2011

I believe it was in a contest entry for Rescue Beauty Lounge's new color contest that I first heard this idea. The fan that submitted the entry was suggesting a nail polish color that would have all the varying duochrome-y goodness of a fresh oil slick.
*edit* the fan was a polish problem 
(this pic was obviously copied and pasted from a google search)

That sounds beautiful to me, but sadly I don't think it made it into the final submissions. :(
Well tonight has been terrible! I haven't even been to sleep yet and it's nearly 4 am! Just insomnia I guess.... So while my mind is racing with new thoughts and ideas for nail polish art, this is what I came up with. I was so pleasantly suprised because I totally stink at water marbles. I don't have enough patience to practice it and get better. Tonight seemed like a perfect night to play in it.


I started just doing my last three fingers but it turned out so great, I kept going!

 As I kept going, my right hand got messier, more bubbles, and less ease in making the swirls. Most likely due to many factors.... It being my dominant hand, my water was kinda chunky at this point, and by now it was nearing the 2nd hour of working on it! I went through about half of "Lost" Season Two during this sleepless night.
 Here is what I used:
  • Sally Hansen Insta Dri - Silver Sweep (which I find is actually a lot smoother and less streaky than Millennium!)
  • ChG - Emotion (pink) , Avalanche (purple) , Adore (blue) , & Cherish (green). If I'm not mistaken I think these are all from the Romantique collection.
 One more picture with flash to show just how metallic and awesomely shiny it is!
Colette is the queen of water marbiling. If you have any questions about this technique or would like to see a tutorial of how it's done check out her blog here: My Simple Little Treasures.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment